The municipality of Sta. Cruz was an active participant in the making of Mindanao’s and Philippines’ histories. From the Spanish rule, to American regime, to Japanese occupation, to independence, to Martial Law, to EDSA Revolution, Sta. Cruz’ story was intricately interwoven into the country’s saga.
More than a century-old municipality, Sta. Cruz was legally created last October 5, 1884 and it is the third oldest town in Mindanao. This gulf was originally called LABO, a Bagobo word meaning marshland. The Bagobo-Tagabawa tribe ruled by Datu Ali were the early settlers in the area.
According to pioneers, Sta. Cruz originated its name way back in 1880 when Spaniards planted a cross under a shelter upon their failure to Christianize the settlers who continued to resist them. Another group of migrants settled adjacent to the cross whcih was near to the present municipal building site, the place came to be know as “SA CRUZ” which means at the cross.
PASIG BOATMEN CONDUCT BENCH MARKING IN SURIGAO
STA. CRUZIAN IS EXEMPLARY CHILD REGIONAL WINNER
STA. CRUZ PARTICIPATES KALINAW KULTURA MINDANAO DAVAO LAUNCH
Signage installed along Sibulan Trail to Mt. Apo
Municipality of Sta. Cruz and Mandaluyong City inks Sisterhood Pact
SMB is the top taxpayer
San Miguel Foundation launches Happy si Mommy, Healthy si Baby Program